2022 in Books
In 2022 I read 39 books - mostly novels, but some non-fiction and collections as well - and I listened to 24 audiobooks. So which were my favourite?
At the end of the year, I have seven books that I gave 10/10 for how much I enjoyed them. This isn’t a comment on how “good” they are - just how much I loved reading/listening to them. Here they are…
- My Cousin Rachel - Daphne du Maurier
- Euphoria - Lily King
- Six Against the Yard - collection of classic crime authors
- Lessons in Chemistry - Bonnie Garmus
- Bewilderment - Richard Powers
- The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
- The Foundling - Stacey Halls
Here is where I would usually pick a very favourite, but I can’t! Perhaps Euphoria, or Bewilderment… but I’m not sure.
There were another 11 books that I gave 9/10. So of these 18 books, two were short story collections. All the rest were novels. No non-fiction in my best lists this year. Anyone got any good non-fiction to get me going in 2023?
One of my top-18 books this year was by a collection of authors, three were by men, and the other 14 by women. The publication dates ranged from 2022, back to 1859. Only one of them (Bewilderment) was a 21st-century-published book, set in the 21st-centry, which surprises me!
Here are the rest of my list:
- The Hours Before Dawn - Celia Framlin
- The Vanishing Half - Brit Bennett
- The Appeal - Janice Hallett
- Fingersmith - Sarah Waters
- Stories of Your Life & Others - Ted Chiang
- The Essex Serpent - Sarah Perry
- The Christie Affair - Nina de Gramont
- The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets - Eva Rice
- Confession - Jessie Burton
- Absent in the Spring - Mary Westmacott
- New Boy - Tracey Chevalier